Terms and Conditions of Use
Please read the following terms and conditions carefully before using the Xenowatch crowdsourcing platform created by the African Centre for Migration & Society, at the University of the Witwatersrand.
These terms and conditions of use shall govern your use of the platform and its deferent components (including website, mobile app, free SMS service, etc.). By using this platform, you expressly accept and agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions in full:
- Intellectual Property: all contents, logos and other visual media contained in the platform are Xenowatch property and are protected by all South African copyright laws. Any information used for research, publicity, etc. obtained from the platform should reference or credit Xenowatch accordingly;
- Incident reporting: users that report xenophobic incidents on our website and various platforms agree that the information they provide is accurate and true. Information in this instance shall mean any audio, video, text, images or other material users choose to send to this platform;
- User Responsibility: as a user of the platform, you agree to ensure that the use of our services and information is not for purposes that are unlawful or incite abuse, hate, threaten and intimidate any person. Accordingly, Xenowatch will not be responsible for the misinterpretation/misrepresentation of our content and information by users and any legal action taken against a user due to the above;
- Accuracy: Xenowatch will do its absolute best to verify and ensure that all information contained on the platform regarding xenophobic incidents is accurate and true to the best of our knowledge. However, Xenowatch will not take responsibility for misrepresented information as we rely heavily on reports sent to us by the public and reports from mainstream media. Xenowatch and ACMS do not take responsibility for the accuracy of all reports. The platform relies on accurate collective reporting from contributors who truly want to help in the fight against xenophobia;
- User Consent: users of the platform automatically provide consent by voluntarily completing and uploading information on xenophobic incidents and uploading videos, pictures, etc. on the website. The system allows for attaching pictures and videos of xenophobic incidents. These will be used for verification purposes and will be uploaded to the Xenowatch platform after removal of any identifiable images or audio recordings of individuals. Xenowatch will assume copyright over uploaded photos and/or videos and information. This information will anonymously feed into research. The research findings and recommendations may assist with: (i) the prevention of future violence; (ii) intervention preparedness for future crisis and (iii) re-integration of the displaced. No individual benefits or rewards are offered. By submitting this information/these photo(s) and/or video(s) and/or audio files, you agree to participate in the research;
- Links to Other Web Sites: Xenowatch will not be responsible for any third-party websites that are linked to the platform. Users are responsible for reading and agreeing (or disagreeing) with the Terms and Conditions or Privacy Policies of these third parties.
For clarification on these terms and conditions or more information on the Xenowatch platform, please contact us on:
Tel: +27 11 717 4017
Cell: +27 607949882